Saturday, November 1, 2008

24 Excited Potters: Session #1


Today I taught 24 excited potters at Harambee Elementary in St. Paul. The students, grade 2-5, were super excited to work with clay. I was so thankful to have parents, teachers and my twin sons in the room to help out. Everyone in the room was totally engaged in the projects and were so willing to help each other. It was awesome to stand back for a moment and watch.

As we were extruding clay cylinders for the "face jars" one of the students said, "This is the best class I have ever had". Another student said, "I can't believe this class is already over". Educators love to overhear comments like this from students.

This is what I did in the 3 hour session:

Relationship Building Activities - Take a hike... and Raccoon Circles
View past projects via my website www.kidsclayshop.com
Show pottery tools: slab roller, extruder, misc tools
Projects: Model how to, then students create
1) Pinch pot
2) Pinch Pot with Feet and Name Plate
3) Cylinder with Name Plate
4) Cylinder Face Jar
5) Picture Frames

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It was so much fun to hear about your potter class. I have always loved to work with clay. Many years ago I had the opportunity to take an adult class in pottery which included using a potter's wheel. I fell in love with the feeling of molding the clay with my hands and the movement and motion of kicking the wheel. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to revisit this experience. You have reawakened that emotional connection for me. Thank you. Brings back wonderful memories.